Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Staples for trailer bunk carpet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

shade

shade
  • Deck Hand
  • 201 posts
  • Joined June 23, 2008
  • Boat: 2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV
I'm not sure if my trailer bunks are pressure treated or not because I haven't taken the old carpet off yet. I was looking at staples and the Stainless staples say not for marine use and the Monel staples say not for use in pressure treated wood. So should I use stainless staples if my bunks are pressure treated?

What about the lag bolts? If its PT wood should I not use Stainless lag bolts. The ones that on the trailer look galvanized to me and the theads are rusting pretty badly and will need to be replaced.

TIA

Edited by shade, June 10, 2010 - 05:11 AM.

tvano

tvano
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,469 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: '04 Response
Boat House View Boat House
i've used stainless staples with good luck.
i would recommend using stainless THROUGH bolts/nuts/lock washers, not lag bolts.
imho there is very little in the marine world that should use lag bolts.
countersink the heads so that they won't stick up too high.

davemac

davemac
  • Never Logs Off
  • 958 posts
  • Joined October 02, 2007
  • Boat: 03 Response LXi
I just re-did mine a couple weeks back. I have PT bunks (which I also replaced), along w/ galvanized lags (although thru-bolting makes more sense).
I used the SS staples. Others here reported no problem w/ using them. I did see the "not for marine use" warning, but speculate that this is primarily in regards to salt water applications (not a concern of mine). The Monel ones are about twice the price of SS and I could not find them locally. I was not aware that Monel is not compatible w/ PT.

Edited by davemac, June 10, 2010 - 05:23 AM.

shade

shade
  • Deck Hand
  • 201 posts
  • Joined June 23, 2008
  • Boat: 2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV

i've used stainless staples with good luck.
i would recommend using stainless THROUGH bolts/nuts/lock washers, not lag bolts.
imho there is very little in the marine world that should use lag bolts.
countersink the heads so that they won't stick up too high.

Yeh, I was thinking about using SS carriage bolts to through bolt them. The lag bolts start to back out over time.

Malibudude

Malibudude
  • Administrator
  • 14,295 posts
  • Joined March 21, 2005
  • Boat: Silver Edition VLX
I just redid some of my bunks using Arrow 9/16 galvanized staples, I'd recommend using an air gun.

Wakeboarddude

Wakeboarddude
  • Wrench Monkey
  • 42 posts
  • Joined October 04, 2009
  • Boat: 1988 Sunsetter
I'm planning to do this project on the weekend, but I was thinking of using the short galvanized roofing nails to tack the carpet onto the new boards. Anyone see an issue with this?

davemac

davemac
  • Never Logs Off
  • 958 posts
  • Joined October 02, 2007
  • Boat: 03 Response LXi

I'm planning to do this project on the weekend, but I was thinking of using the short galvanized roofing nails to tack the carpet onto the new boards. Anyone see an issue with this?

...only if you don't care about the people traveling behind you, if and when they fall out. I decided against it because MacLeod's Law (or Murphy's Law as most know it) dictates that the first nail that fell out would bounce underneath my own trailer tire and cause a blowout.

eyepeeler

eyepeeler
  • 'Bu Savant
  • 682 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2008
  • Boat: 2001 Response LX

Just use staples like everybody else.

Wakeboarddude

Wakeboarddude
  • Wrench Monkey
  • 42 posts
  • Joined October 04, 2009
  • Boat: 1988 Sunsetter
Good point. I was thinking that because I don't have a staple gun or air gun, and a big bag of nails already. Didn't think about them falling out, guess I'll go buy a staple gun. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users