Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trailer Brakes locking up in reverse

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

SeaRay16

SeaRay16
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 2 posts
  • Joined February 24, 2010
We just bought a 2001 Sunsetter VLX. Love the boat! But trailer has been giving us trouble (Sports Boat Trailer, double axle, with brakes.) Every other time we try to back it up, the brakes lock up and won't let us go any further. Happened at the launch, then while backing into our garage. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it have something to do with wiring between truck and trailer? Boat is currently stuck in our driveway so hoping to get this solved quickly.

Thanks!

obski

obski
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,002 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: 2011 Wakesetter VTX
What is your tow vehicle? Some Fords in particular are wired in such a way that the brake on the trailer will engage. You can put a piece into the trailer to lock out the brake as a temporary fix.

Living the Dream

Living the Dream
  • 'Bu Savant
  • 699 posts
  • Joined July 23, 2009
  • Boat: Malibu 2010 247 LSV LS3

We just bought a 2001 Sunsetter VLX. Love the boat! But trailer has been giving us trouble (Sports Boat Trailer, double axle, with brakes.) Every other time we try to back it up, the brakes lock up and won't let us go any further. Happened at the launch, then while backing into our garage. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it have something to do with wiring between truck and trailer? Boat is currently stuck in our driveway so hoping to get this solved quickly.

Thanks!

I bet you are using a 4 pin plug adapter and should be using a 5 pin adapter on your trailer pig tail...get one @ West Marine 6.99

WakingMeHappy

WakingMeHappy
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,928 posts
  • Joined November 07, 2006
  • Boat: 1999 Sunsetter LXI
Boat House View Boat House
Near the front trailer tongue you should see a cut-out slot with a pin that slides back and forth when moving the trailer. As your backing the trailer the pin slides back engaging the trailer brakes. You should have a clip (of sorts) to put in the slot gap to prevent the brakes from engaging when backing. Usually it’s hanging by a small chain or wire. If it’s missing you should be able to pick one up at most any boat shop. If I remember I’ll take a pic at attach it tomorrow.

And congrats on the new boat and welcome to the crew. :werule:

Edited by WakingMeHappy, March 07, 2010 - 10:24 PM.

Malibuswany

Malibuswany
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 430 posts
  • Joined October 28, 2009
I have had this problem on more than one occasion and found that if I unpluged it from the truck and then plugged it back in it released the brakes and it all worked fine. I don't know if it is coincidence or if it actually reset anything. Other wise follow wakeingmehappy's advise.

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 9,321 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005
  • Boat: 2005 Malibu vRide
The 5 flat is the way to go. Then you never have to get out of your truck to go in reverse. There are adapters available at most any auto parts store. My Chevy Avalanche has the 7 round plug stock. And I use a 7 round - 5 flat adapter.

Plus, heres a couple of tricks that will get you by in a pinch.

You can pull your flat connector, and plug it in so the last positive pin on the trailer side is connected to one of the first positive holes on the truck side. This last pin needs power to it to release the brakes.

Posted Image

And like WakeingMeHappy explains, the slot in the side of the trailer's tongue, you should have a trailer "key" for it.

But you can stick anything in there to keep it from sliding back. A nickle, a 1/2" nut, even a piece of gravel will do the job.

travlnmannn

travlnmannn
  • Deck Hand
  • 223 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2009
  • Boat: 2009 VRide

Near the front trailer tongue you should see a cut-out slot with a pin that slides back and forth when moving the trailer. As your backing the trailer the pin slides back engaging the trailer brakes. You should have a clip (of sorts) to put in the slot gap to prevent the brakes from engaging when backing. Usually itís hanging by a small chain or wire. If itís missing you should be able to pick one up at most any boat shop. If I remember Iíll take a pic at attach it tomorrow.

I had this also on my last BU although the pin was attached and couldn't be removed. Im quite confident this could be the problem. I never heard of the plug having something to do with the brakes but sounds interesting.

Ndawg12

Ndawg12
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,918 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2008
  • Boat: 2007 247LSV

Near the front trailer tongue you should see a cut-out slot with a pin that slides back and forth when moving the trailer. As your backing the trailer the pin slides back engaging the trailer brakes. You should have a clip (of sorts) to put in the slot gap to prevent the brakes from engaging when backing. Usually itís hanging by a small chain or wire. If itís missing you should be able to pick one up at most any boat shop. If I remember Iíll take a pic at attach it tomorrow.

That's right, not the rear trailer tongue, that's a completely different set up :biggrin:

obski

obski
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,002 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: 2011 Wakesetter VTX
By the way, the '01 SS VLX is a sweet boat. We had one and there are still things I miss about that boat.
Enjoy.

UWSkier

UWSkier
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,638 posts
  • Joined April 05, 2005
  • Boat: 2001 Sunsetter VLX
If your trailer has a 4 pin plug, just get the key and put it in the slot as described above. If it has the flat 5 pin, there's a solenoid that locks out the brakes when you put the vehicle in reverse. Try to find a 5 pin adapter for your tow vehicle.

ibelieve

ibelieve
  • Deck Hand
  • 271 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2005
  • Boat: 2004 Response LXi w/ HH
For this to work, you usually need to turn the lights on, if they aren't already.

/Steve

The 5 flat is the way to go. Then you never have to get out of your truck to go in reverse. There are adapters available at most any auto parts store. My Chevy Avalanche has the 7 round plug stock. And I use a 7 round - 5 flat adapter.

Plus, heres a couple of tricks that will get you by in a pinch.

You can pull your flat connector, and plug it in so the last positive pin on the trailer side is connected to one of the first positive holes on the truck side. This last pin needs power to it to release the brakes.

Posted Image

And like WakeingMeHappy explains, the slot in the side of the trailer's tongue, you should have a trailer "key" for it.

But you can stick anything in there to keep it from sliding back. A nickle, a 1/2" nut, even a piece of gravel will do the job.

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 9,321 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005

I had this also on my last BU although the pin was attached and couldn't be removed. Im quite confident this could be the problem. I never heard of the plug having something to do with the brakes but sounds interesting.

I hope you mean that it was on a bungie or zip tie on the trailer, as opposed to being in that slot all the time...... which would mean you have no trailer brakes while driving down the road. I've done this a couple times & it can be a BIG surprise when you realize what is happening....... as the trailer pushes you out into an intersection!

I eventually pulled mine off & threw it in the truck. The first one I had got stolen at the ramp..... apparently they wanted the spare tire too but didn't get it all the way off before someone stopped them.

Quick story..... Last fall a neighbor of mine bought a Vride at an auction. It's an 08 with like 32 hrs on it. Boat itself is in good shape, but it had a couple of issues, ie; racks & stereo were gone, prop was mangled, heater was leaking, and that key/pin was missing. I happened to be driving by & saw him trying to back the boat up the hill into his own driveway. Of course it wasn't working. I stopped & asked if he needed a hand. We looked at the trailer, which had the 5 flat connector but his Suburban did not. I pulled a nickle out of my pocket & stuck it in that slot. Then he tried it again...... went right up the hill without a problem. He couldn't believe it. :rofl:

travlnmannn

travlnmannn
  • Deck Hand
  • 223 posts
  • Joined November 16, 2009
  • Boat: 2009 VRide

I hope you mean that it was on a bungie or zip tie on the trailer, as opposed to being in that slot all the time...... which would mean you have no trailer brakes while driving down the road. I've done this a couple times & it can be a BIG surprise when you realize what is happening....... as the trailer pushes you out into an intersection!

I eventually pulled mine off & threw it in the truck. The first one I had got stolen at the ramp..... apparently they wanted the spare tire too but didn't get it all the way off before someone stopped them.

Quick story..... Last fall a neighbor of mine bought a Vride at an auction. It's an 08 with like 32 hrs on it. Boat itself is in good shape, but it had a couple of issues, ie; racks & stereo were gone, prop was mangled, heater was leaking, and that key/pin was missing. I happened to be driving by & saw him trying to back the boat up the hill into his own driveway. Of course it wasn't working. I stopped & asked if he needed a hand. We looked at the trailer, which had the 5 flat connector but his Suburban did not. I pulled a nickle out of my pocket & stuck it in that slot. Then he tried it again...... went right up the hill without a problem. He couldn't believe it. :rofl:

No it wasn't a removable pin. It was more like a locking device with a handle/pin that if put in the lower locking position it would lock out the brakes when reversing. But during normal forward operations the pin would be pulled out of the locking position by the forward motion of the trailer.

lol@quick story.... :frustrated: I'm sure thats how he felt...lol

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 9,321 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005

No it wasn't a removable pin. It was more like a locking device with a handle/pin that if put in the lower locking position it would lock out the brakes when reversing. But during normal forward operations the pin would be pulled out of the locking position by the forward motion of the trailer.

I have seen that kind of surge brakes on older fishing/pleasure boats. But never that style installed on trailers made by the likes of Extreme, Boatmate or Mastercraft's trailers. :unsure:

SeaRay16

SeaRay16
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 2 posts
  • Joined February 24, 2010
Thanks everyone...the 5 pin solution outlined above is correct. The 5th pin activates the trailer brakes. Without the 5th pin, the trailers are designed so have their brakes lock if they sense the trailer rolling back. Note we also have a newer Ford Explorer that only has a 4 pin output, so required a little bit of wiring, but now works great.

RTS

RTS
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,125 posts
  • Joined April 09, 2005
  • Boat: Looking to replace '02 SSLXi
Glad you got it worked out, but just so you know, the trailers are not designed to sense when they are rolling backwards and then apply the trailer brakes, they are designed to apply the trailer brakes if your boat is getting closer to your truck...i.e. applying the brakes in your truck when cruising down the highway. You get the same effect if you are backing your rig (truck is pushing into the trailer) hence the need for the reverse lockout.

rodman

rodman
  • A Decent Third
  • 326 posts
  • Joined May 23, 2010
  • Boat: 2005 23 LSV

Thanks!

What year is the trailer. As far as I know boat that old of a boat would not have a reverse lock up. There should be a reverse lock out lever or over ride lever on the tongue.

water_junky

water_junky
  • A Decent Third
  • 366 posts
  • Joined November 01, 2008
  • Boat: 2009 VLX/2000 Response

What year is the trailer. As far as I know boat that old of a boat would not have a reverse lock up. There should be a reverse lock out lever or over ride lever on the tongue.

My 2000 Extreme trailer has disc brakes which require a reverse lock out solenoid activated by the reverse lights.

Terry

BFWAKE75

BFWAKE75
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 54 posts
  • Joined September 20, 2012
  • Boat: 2005 V-RIDE
Funny you mention this I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. I was moving my boat around with my tractor and when I tried to back it into my garage it would not move it. I have only had the boat since June and this is the first time I tried the tractor. So I thought the tractor would not push it back up the hill so I hooked it to my truck. Well the same thing happened with the truck. I guess the trailer brakes work pretty good b/c it would not move. I thought the emergency cord was pulled but nothing. After trying to troubleshoot for a awhile I got on the net and found out that I had to hook up my trailer lights in order for the brakes to release. Glad to find out the solution was that simple.

2005 VRide
Boatmate Trailer

Jamobado

Jamobado
  • Wrench Monkey
  • 25 posts
  • Joined September 22, 2011
  • Boat: '02 Wakesetter 23 LSV
I have a Sport Boat Trailer from 2002 with Surge Brakes. It is a great trailer. The tongue has a telescoping system to activate the brakes when the tow vehicle brakes are applied. Before backing up this system needs to be defeated by putting a pin inside of tongue. If your boat didn't come with it a thick screwdriver could work temporarily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users