Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone familar with Calabria Boats???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

BigRob

BigRob
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 11 posts
  • Joined January 21, 2009
  • Boat: 02 Calabria
My true love is Malibu but I was really thinking about this boat. It has every option under the sun and it's a 23' that I could afford. Anyone have experience with Calabria? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. It's in great shape, low hours, and I really love the paint scheme. Here is a link let me know what you think.

Thanks, Rob

gripnrip

gripnrip
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 68 posts
  • Joined September 04, 2006
  • Boat: 2003 Response LXi
Hey Rob, I have had two. The first was called a Brand Ex which was made for Cope and McPheters Marine in 1996. The next was a Calabria 2003 model. It really had good quality craftmanship, upgraded carpet, nice vinyl and all the fixings like heater, shower, huge trunk. I liked it. The problem with me was I ski and it was not an ideal ski wake. I upgraded to a Malibu RLXi. The RLXi is what I wanted. I guess if you wakeboard it may be a good buy.

BigRob

BigRob
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the feedback gripnrip. I agree the craftsmanship looks great, it doesn't look thrown together like a cheaper boat. And yes I will be using the boat for wakeboarding most of the time.

One thing a little concerning there isn't any local dealers here in Tx. It's powered by a 315hp McCruiser so I will not have any problems getting parts for that. Here is a link of the boat it didn't seem to show on the first post. What do you think guys?

http://www.boattrade...-PRO-V-95076854

Thanks, Rob

Edited by BigRob, August 21, 2009 - 05:33 PM.

jetskipro550

jetskipro550
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,682 posts
  • Joined April 14, 2005
  • Boat: Sanger V230
Boat House View Boat House
I think Calabria's are really cool looking! Never ridden behind or been on one in the water but have sat in them at boat shows and thought they were very nice. They seem to be one of the first to have a really wide beam (that one is an 02 with 102" beam) so they have lots of room inside.

dlb

dlb
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined April 13, 2005
  • Boat: 2002 Wakesetter LSV
i would be careful if there is not a dealer that you can get access to.......

edgeski1

edgeski1
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 584 posts
  • Joined April 09, 2005
  • Boat: Dealer
If I recall correctly, a wood interior as well

jetskipro550

jetskipro550
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,682 posts
  • Joined April 14, 2005
  • Boat: Sanger V230

i would be careful if there is not a dealer that you can get access to.......

Why? An 02 is most likely out of warranty and any boat shop can work on Merc engines. All other parts can be ordered from the factory or other dealer.

We never once took our Malibu to the dealer. We have a great mechanic in town and he did all repairs and service. It doesn't bother me at all to not have a Sanger dealer in our state.

dlb

dlb
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,115 posts
  • Joined April 13, 2005
  • Boat: 2002 Wakesetter LSV
My point exactly, you need to have access to a dealer that will work on it, otherwise it is a DIY. You need to be comfortable that they will do the work correctly.

I never said the dealer had to be for that brand. You just need to know how you will handle the things you are not going to deal with yourself.

Chia

Chia
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,161 posts
  • Joined April 17, 2005
i don't know anything about the calibria, but it seems to me that 315hp is way underpowered for a 23' boat. I don't care what brand it is, i would not consider it for that reason alone.

there is an '04 23 lsv on onlyinboards.com for $30,000 and some nice vlx's in your price range as well.

-BS-

-BS-
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,296 posts
  • Joined September 18, 2008
I've always wondered about these boats, too. They have a nice look to 'em. I dig the ballast draining system! Open the ballast hatches and punch it........they drain in seconds. I would agree with Cervello on the HP issue though. My 320hp Vride doesn't have that wide of beam, nor that length and I wish it had more power.

Good luck on the decision.

FijiRob

FijiRob
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 504 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: 2005 Sunscape LSV
Before I purchased my Malibu I owned a 1999 Calabria Sport Comp XTS. I owned the boat for 5 years and never had any issues whatsoever. In my opinion it was a well made boat. The one you are looking at may be a bit underpowered for a 23' so I would certainly recommend driving it fully loaded then you can decide if it is the right boat for you.

BigRob

BigRob
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 11 posts
Guys I really appreciate the feedback. I have spoke with him about the size of the motor because that was something I thought was kinda odd. He swears up and down the thing could pull a house down and the top speed is around 40 maybe 45 on a smooth day. That is something I'm going to put to the test for sure.

I'm getting this boat for 27k and he is the original owner that took excellent care of the boat. I feel that I'm getting a good deal and that I could prob use the boat for a few years and still sell it for 25k here in Dallas. This is my first wakeboard boat and maybe this can hold me over for a few years until someday I can get a newer LSV.

Thanks, Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users