Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Heated seat install--->

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Tracktor

Tracktor
  • Crew Regular
  • 168 posts
  • Joined October 24, 2005
  • Boat: 1998 VLX
I am installing a heated drivers seat kit in my VLX. If there is interest I'll document & post it up. Should be a simple project & will make those cold days that much better-------------

my malibu

my malibu
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 530 posts
  • Joined March 08, 2008
  • Boat: 06 malibu vlx
  • Boat House View Boat House
thought about doing this mod but removing the seat skin turned me off
pics of your install would be nice maybe push me over the edge to do it

chadwick02

chadwick02
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,161 posts
  • Joined June 25, 2006
  • Boat: 2013 Chadillac MXZ
I'd be interested as well.

T-Squared

T-Squared
  • Deck Hand
  • 242 posts
  • Joined August 08, 2006
  • Boat: Yup
I'd be interested too.

Bake's Marine

Bake's Marine
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,572 posts
  • Joined May 31, 2007
  • Boat: Malibu Experts!

thought about doing this mod but removing the seat skin turned me off
pics of your install would be nice maybe push me over the edge to do it

you won't have to take the seat skin off all the way, you just need to remove the bottom of the back rest so you can slide the heated seat element up. The breaker is all ready there so all you need is the

Lean Back Element $46
Seat Element $65
Heated Seat Switch Cover (if you have a extra ACC switch you can use) $4.75

It would probably only take a few hours to install and it is really nice to have on those cold days.

-Paul

skyskier

skyskier
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,726 posts
  • Joined August 01, 2006
  • Boat: Mastercraft X Star
I have heated leather seats in both of my trucks. The leather has stretched, wrinkled, and puckered from the heat. I suspect it would do the same to marine vinyl. Just a thought. Does anyone know for sure?

MalibuWantToBe

MalibuWantToBe
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 139 posts
  • Joined July 13, 2008
  • Boat: 2008 Malibu VTX
I would be interested, might not do it for a bit but that is the #2 upgrade on my wifes list. (#1 is heater).

WaveMake'nLSV

WaveMake'nLSV
  • Beyond Help
  • 869 posts
  • Joined October 05, 2006
  • Boat: SOLD: 2004 LSV WS/Diamond
I would suspect that the leather is much more supple and pliable (read: vulnerable to heat/stretch) than Marine Grade Vinyl. May be trying to compare two different beasts, but... Posted Image

I have heated leather seats in both of my trucks. The leather has stretched, wrinkled, and puckered from the heat. I suspect it would do the same to marine vinyl. Just a thought. Does anyone know for sure?

WaveMake'nLSV

WaveMake'nLSV
  • Beyond Help
  • 869 posts
  • Joined October 05, 2006
  • Boat: SOLD: 2004 LSV WS/Diamond
Posted Image
Heaters rock!

I would be interested, might not do it for a bit but that is the #2 upgrade on my wifes list. (#1 is heater).

Cervelo

Cervelo
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,116 posts
  • Joined April 17, 2005

Posted Image
Heaters rock!

I didn't order the heated seat option cause i was told they are not that effective. who has this option and what is your opinion? thanks

Bake's Marine

Bake's Marine
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,572 posts
  • Joined May 31, 2007
Being in the North west we have heaters in 100% of our boats and heated seats in about 90% of our boats. The heater is really nice and a must to extend your "fair weather" boating season around here. (Just FYI "Good heat" is only produced over 1,000 RPMS, even with the low RPM fitting)

The heated seat is very effective, it's definitely a very luxurious thing to have in a boat. The captain obviously gets all the benefits and it's well worth it, i would put one in my boat if i still had my 98'.

We are using the factories heated seat element, just how they install it with no issues of wrinkling or puckering the vinyl? In fact I've never had to do warranty service for the heated seat. Skyskier, something must be wrong with your heated seats, or the leather needs to be conditioned (don't ever use armor all on leather or Malibu's vinyl)

I definitely wouldn't go installing some after market heated seat just because who knows what it would do and whether it can stand the moisture like the factory one does. Malibu has been doing the heated seat since 03' and it's proved itself to be reliable and hold up to the elements.

-Paul

skyskier

skyskier
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,726 posts
  • Joined August 01, 2006
  • Boat: Mastercraft X Star
For the record................Chevy Equinox has factory leather and heater. Dodge Dakota leather and heater are both after market. Neither have ever seen armour all. I have never used any kind of leather conditioner either. (my bad?) The Chevy problem is worse. I would have thought it would be the other way around since the Dodge has after market stuff. Glad to know there are no issues with the marine version. When I saw the heated seat thread all kinds of alarms went off. Now I'm thinking it may just be a big fat arse issue. Posted Image

johnsvt

johnsvt
  • Never Logs Off
  • 943 posts
  • Joined November 04, 2006
  • Boat: 06 V-Ride

For the record................Chevy Equinox has factory leather and heater. Dodge Dakota leather and heater are both after market. Neither have ever seen armour all. I have never used any kind of leather conditioner either. (my bad?) The Chevy problem is worse. I would have thought it would be the other way around since the Dodge has after market stuff. Glad to know there are no issues with the marine version. When I saw the heated seat thread all kinds of alarms went off. Now I'm thinking it may just be a big fat arse issue. Posted Image

Katzskinz(sp) leather is generally what most aftermarket installers use and imo better than most factory leather. JH get some 303 on the equinox...now.

skicrave

skicrave
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined September 17, 2006
  • Boat: Liquid Logic 125
You need to feed your leather regularly if you want to prevent creases, wrinkles and wear (especially in high traffic areas like the driver's bottom cushion bolster).

winddawg

winddawg
  • A Decent Third
  • 355 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2007
  • Boat: 04 23 LSV
I have the heated seat in my 2004 LSV and really like it. I haven't had any problems with it other than it can get too hot. I do not have a low high switch just on/off-bummer.

I installed aftermarket heated seats in my 2005 F-250 for both the driver and passenger and I don't think I will have another vehicle without the feature. I don't use the heat in the truck anymore. I bought the system that has two pads per seat one for the butt and the other for the back. The illuminated pushbutton switches that come with the kit have three settings low high and medium. I installed the system about 14 months ago and have had no trouble with it at all. You do need to remove the seats from the truck to insall the pads and as was stated earlier you do NOT need to take all of the upholstery off to get the heating elements in place.

I bought the kit from:

http://www.checkcorp.com/

This company sells direct and was very helpful over the phone when I had questions. I think this sight will appreciate the boat they feature on their sight for marine applications.

-Dave

onamission

onamission
  • Never Logs Off
  • 972 posts
  • Joined April 10, 2005
  • Boat: 05 RLXI

Posted Image
Heaters rock!

I didn't order the heated seat option cause i was told they are not that effective. who has this option and what is your opinion? thanks

Only problem is that Check Corp. has a thermostat that only allow the seat to heat up till 105F and it take about 10 minutes to get there. My back side enjoys it on those cool mornings ski runs and late evening cruses.

BrianM

BrianM
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 95 posts
  • Joined April 22, 2005
  • Boat: '97 Mastercraft Prostar 190
I did a heated drivers seat install on my '97 MC. Has been in for two seasons now and works great. Was really pretty easy to do. If you are interested in looking at the install thread I did on the MC site check it out here. http://www.mastercra...ed seat install

MalibuTime

MalibuTime
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,413 posts
  • Joined October 07, 2007
  • Boat: 2008 VTX Diamond Hull
I can see heating the observers seat bottom at some point in the future with a connector that lets you unplug the feed and tuck it away for summer. You could make it long enough so you could still raise the cushion and move it out of the way withoug unplugging.

Tracktor

Tracktor
  • Crew Regular
  • 168 posts
  • Joined October 24, 2005
  • Boat: 1998 VLX
BRILLIANT!!. If you haven't done this yet and ride in cold weather or just like to be snuggy, do this mod now. Soo nice! I am going to do the passenger side next as I can't be hoggin' all the toast.-
I used a standard electric stapler & stainless staples and it worked great.

The kits I bought came with two pads, a switch and all of the wiring-
One Pad with the adhesive I used-
Posted Image
Shot with DMC-FZ5 at 2009-02-16
First step pull staples, pretty basic. You only have to pull the inner staples on the main seat-
Posted Image
Next fit the heat pads and adhere-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I covered the pads with 1/4" upholstrey foam I bought at a local shop. probably not necessary but I didn't want to feel the pads. This does make them a bit slower to heat but other than that it worked great.-
Posted Image
Re-staple cover ( only show the base but the main seat was even easier)-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Drill hole & install switch-
Posted Image
Posted Image
Last step is wire switch into a power line from switched from the ignition and you're done.

Bake's Marine

Bake's Marine
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,572 posts
  • Joined May 31, 2007

Last step is wire switch into a power line from switched from the ignition and you're done.

I wouldn't take power off of your ignition switch? adding a 20 or 30 amp load to your ignition circuit is asking for trouble. Power should be taken from a main source and fused or breaker'd properly. Most of the newer models will all ready have the breaker in the panel labeled "heated seat" I have pictures of Malibu heated seat elements that i will post up tomorrow.

-Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users