Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Response LX vs LXi

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Etch32

Etch32
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 3 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2007
  • Boat: Considering Response LX or LXi
Hello, I've been lurking/researching for a while now. I've got my sights on a Response but am trying to decide between an LXi and LX. I've skied an 06 and 07 LXi and think I noticed a slight wake improvement (softer, flatter) with the 07 which has the newer cut diamond hull (I skied them different days about 2 weeks apart so I could've imagined it). I've haven't been able to locate an LX locally to demo so I'm looking for impressions from those of you who have skied behind both an LX and LXi.

I ski mainly at 15off, 32mph (free ski, can't do the course at that speed) but want something which will still be kind when I progress to 22off. I believe the LX still has S23VD (not cut diamond) hull? Even for 07/08 models. Is that correct? Because the LX is narrower (~3.5") and lighter (~300#), I think it may have a slightly smaller wake? Any impressions of LX (please specify year-range if there was a hull change) vs pre-07 LXi vs 07/08 LXi would be much appreciated!

Also if you have any information on major changes (especially to the hull) for LX from 2000 to present, I'd appreciate that. I can find several low-hour 2000-2003 LX's (again not locally) and wonder if they'd perform the same as newer models.

TIA!

tvano

tvano
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,491 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: '04 Response
Boat House View Boat House
check out the Malibu Hull Specifications link that is on the Tech/DIY page for starters.

Etch32

Etch32
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 3 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2007
Thanks for the pointer. I noticed for the RLX that in 2005 the draft changed from 16" to 22". Everything else remained the same. How would draft affect the wake characteristics?

TLo

TLo
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 78 posts
  • Joined June 17, 2006
  • Boat: 2001 Sportster LX
I think the change in draft was due to a change in measuring technique. Both boats have the same draw.

VinRLX

VinRLX
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,830 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005
  • Boat: 2008 RLXi
If you're looking from 2000-current, the changes will be features, options, cosmetics, and HP. The draft is the same, just more accurately listed at 22". Though I can't imagine who would make a big deal out of the 16" being wrong. . . Posted Image

Baddog

Baddog
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 6,138 posts
  • Joined April 18, 2005
  • Boat: 1998 Sunsetter LX

If you're looking from 2000-current, the changes will be features, options, cosmetics, and HP. The draft is the same, just more accurately listed at 22". Though I can't imagine who would make a big deal out of the 16" being wrong. . . Posted Image

Probably someone who has 18" of water to deal with.

doughickey

doughickey
  • 'Bu Savant
  • 642 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: 1998 Malibu RLX

You KNEW I'd bite didn't you.

The last big fight that Doug and Tommy had. Tommy thought that the draft was much closer to the old stated 16"..... whereas I (and some others) thought that the 22" was much more accurate (AND, would be very important to folks with low water and docks etc etc etc.) I challenged Tommy to measure his draft and report. Tommy didn'y like being challenged..... and worse still....hated being wrong..... and oh no, sometimes folks have a hard time of admitting the evidence even when it's right in front of them.

JohnDoe

JohnDoe
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined April 13, 2005

Hello, I've been lurking/researching for a while now. I've got my sights on a Response but am trying to decide between an LXi and LX. I've skied an 06 and 07 LXi and think I noticed a slight wake improvement (softer, flatter) with the 07 which has the newer cut diamond hull (I skied them different days about 2 weeks apart so I could've imagined it). I've haven't been able to locate an LX locally to demo so I'm looking for impressions from those of you who have skied behind both an LX and LXi.

I ski mainly at 15off, 32mph (free ski, can't do the course at that speed) but want something which will still be kind when I progress to 22off. I believe the LX still has S23VD (not cut diamond) hull? Even for 07/08 models. Is that correct? Because the LX is narrower (~3.5") and lighter (~300#), I think it may have a slightly smaller wake? Any impressions of LX (please specify year-range if there was a hull change) vs pre-07 LXi vs 07/08 LXi would be much appreciated!

Also if you have any information on major changes (especially to the hull) for LX from 2000 to present, I'd appreciate that. I can find several low-hour 2000-2003 LX's (again not locally) and wonder if they'd perform the same as newer models.

TIA!

I split my time between an '05 response (CB) and an '05 lxi. Extremely similar. I have said before that the lxi wake felt slightly harder, but they're both sweet. I think lxi tracks slightly better. Neither will hold you back. Just an interesting note, Jamie Beaschesne broke the world record behind a response this summer, and that hull design has remained unchanged for 9 years!

VinRLX

VinRLX
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,830 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005

The last big fight that Doug and Tommy had. Tommy thought that the draft was much closer to the old stated 16"..... whereas I (and some others) thought that the 22" was much more accurate (AND, would be very important to folks with low water and docks etc etc etc.) I challenged Tommy to measure his draft and report. Tommy didn'y like being challenged..... and worse still....hated being wrong..... and oh no, sometimes folks have a hard time of admitting the evidence even when it's right in front of them.

Hey, wait a minute, I think I started that rumble--even asked Tracie to take pictures at a mid-winter boat show!!! :)
From January, 2005

SunriseH2OSkier

SunriseH2OSkier
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,952 posts
  • Joined April 09, 2005
  • Boat: 2003 Response LXi
Ahhhhh memories. How's that trunk lid holding up there, Jack?

VinRLX

VinRLX
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,830 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005
What trunk lid? ;)

Etch32

Etch32
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 3 posts
  • Joined August 25, 2007

I split my time between an '05 response (CB) and an '05 lxi. Extremely similar. I have said before that the lxi wake felt slightly harder, but they're both sweet. I think lxi tracks slightly better. Neither will hold you back. Just an interesting note, Jamie Beaschesne broke the world record behind a response this summer, and that hull design has remained unchanged for 9 years!

I see I've opened up some old wounds with my draft question :)

Thanks JohnDoe for your impressions. Has anyone else been behind both for a comparison?

doughickey

doughickey
  • 'Bu Savant
  • 642 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: 1998 Malibu RLX

Hey, wait a minute, I think I started that rumble--even asked Tracie to take pictures at a mid-winter boat show!!! :)
From January, 2005

You're correct.... you started the on-line fistacuff..... I jumped in late..... I challenged Tommy to a real measurement test..... (with MBO getting $20 from the "loser"), but Tommy never accepted..... just promised to measure in the spring and report. He never did (to my knowledge)..... and he's gone. Im sure he didn't leave The Crew rather than lose a bet......

tvano

tvano
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,491 posts
  • Joined April 11, 2005
  • Boat: '04 Response
i'm certainly not an expert and i can barely remember yesterday (but i keep forgetting that).
i've been behind sunrises' lxi several times. sweet ride, excellent wake.
just like you would expect at some line lenghts and / or speeds one is better than the other.
which is better depends on which one you were behind when you pulled your pb.
for what it's worth i like the response barefoot wakes much better than the lxi.
lxi bf wake is not a big problem by any means but the response bf wake rocks.

88Skier

88Skier
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,290 posts
  • Joined April 13, 2005
  • Boat: 88Skier/03 Sportster

From January, 2005

That was a pretty amusing thread. I haven't seen banter like that for awhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users